Moving to New Zealand, Packing Questions, Answered:
1. What type of outerwear do I need for each season?
2. And should my outerwear always something wind resistant/rain resistant?
3. Do I even bother with the cute (not weather resistant) jackets?
4. What should I have on my feet?
My most worn shoes are leather boots. I wear them for work and I have a hardy pair of Blundstones for generally knocking around. Also trainers are a must and hiking boots. I have heels here but I don’t wear them very often, apart from my leather heeled boots (not very high). BUT people do wear heels in New Zealand of course, and there a lots of fashionable people. It just depends how important it is to you!
5. How serious should I be about finding water proof boots?
If you are going on hikes, you need waterproof walking boots. 100%. But for generally being around the town, some really good leather boots will do.
6. I’m hoping to do lots of hiking and exploring. Is there a list of clothing items you’d recommend, like a ‘starter kit’ for hiking?
Packing List For NZ Hiking (inc. overnight)
Backpack (light, around 45L, hand luggage size)
Light Sandals (to wear in hut)
Warm coat (down)
Waterproof coat that goes over top
Hiking leggings/trousers one pair for the hike and something light to wear in hut (thermals can count as this)
Easy Dry Tshirt/Thermal type thing
Warm but light jumper/fleece for hike
Hiking socks x 2
7. As for non-outerwear clothes, should I expect to be wearing warm socks and wool sweaters the entire time? Long underwear? What items do you most recommend?
Not the entire time! New Zealand has a summer too. You can expect to wear the same sort of outfits that you would wear in London. I would recommend trousers, warm jumpers and boots for the majority of the time. But there is also plenty of sunny days so just go with what you normally would! Long underwear is not really necessary unless you are going off hiking!
It also depends if you are in the city of the country because you will obviously need more warm and sturdy clothing if you are in the country side most of the time.
8. Should I leave the super-summery clothes in Canada? (e.g. frilly, breezy dresses and skirts)
My advice would be to bring a few. I find when its summery I wear jeans and small cropped tops or t shirts. I have dresses but I rarely wear them apart from for work with tights, or sometimes in summer.
9. What would I not think to pack, but wish I had?
You can buy everything here but it is expensive. If you want to go skiing, bring your ski gear. It is expensive here and much easier to bring it. Also bring hiking boots.
Other than that, don’t stress too much, you can find everything here and Macpac will be your friend!
Thanks for reading, if you have any more questions you would like answered, comment below.
If you would like more information about moving to New Zealand from yours truly, check out the following posts:
You can also check out more of my Travel blog posts HERE.